- Year of Production
- Daniele Vicari
- 90 min
The Human Cargo
by Daniele Vicari
On August 8th 1991, an Albanian ship carrying twenty-thousand peoplearrives in the port of Bari. The ship is called Vlora.
To those who watch her approaching, she looks like a teeming ant hill,an ill-defined mass of bodies clinging to one another.
The docking manoeuvres are difficult. Some of the men on board dive intothe sea and swim to shore. Many yell, “Italia, Italia,” holding up two fingersto signal victory.
Vlora is an old mercantile ship, built in the early 1960s in Genoa.
On August 7th 1991, the ship returns from Cuba, to the portof Durazzo, carrying ten-thousand tons of sugar in its hold. While it is in theprocess of unloading its cargo, a crowd of thousands suddenly invades the ship,forcing captain Halim Milaqi to make the crossing to Italy.
The ship overflows with men, women and children.
There is Eva, who climbs up the long mooring lines with her husband.There is Kledi, a kid who was at the beach with his friends when his curiosityled him to join the crowd moving towards the port. There is little Ervis andhis family, there is Robert, a young film student and his class mates.Some, once they’re on board, run into a friend or a brother.
The main engine is not working. There is neither food nor water. Onlysugar.
The August sun bakes the deck. Then, night falls and the captain mustnavigate without a radar. He even avoids a collision.
The next morning, the Vlora is met by an incredulous and stunned cityand an empty sports stadium, where, after a lengthy evacuation of the port, theAlbanians are rounded up before being repatriated. Since that day, twenty-one yearshave gone by.
Most of those who boarded that ship filled with sugar, were sent back toAlbania, but some made other attempts to enter the country as more ships madethe crossing from Albania.
Today, there are four and a half million foreigners living in Italy.
- EVA KARAFILI
- AGRON SULA
- HALIM MILAQI
- KLEDI KADIU
- ROBERT BUDINA
- EDUART COTA
- ERVIS ALIA
- ALI MARGJEKA
- GIUSEPPE BELVISO
- NICOLA MONTANO
- DOMENICO STEA
- FORTUNATA DELL’ORZO
- LUCA TURI
- RAFFAELE NIGRO
- MARIA BRESCIA
- LUIGI ROCA
- VITO LECCESE
- Director Daniele Vicari
- Story Antonella Geta; Daniele Vicari
- Screenplay Antonella Gaeta; Benni Atria; Daniele Vicari
- Cinematography Gherardo Gossi
- Editor Benni Atria
- Music Teho Teardo
- Sound Velentino Giannì, Gianluca Costamagna
- Production coordinator Ines Vasiljevic
- Produced by Nicola Giuliano, Francesca Cima, Carlotta Calori for Indigo Film; Silvio Maselli for Apulia Film Commission, Ilir Butka for Ska-Ndal Production
- Production Indigo Film, Apulia Film Commission
- Produced with Rai Cinema
- In co-production with Apulia Film Commission
- In collaboration with Central State Archive of Albania
- In collaboration with Telenorba
- In collaboration with Digitalb
- Distribution Microcinema
- International Sales Rai Trade
Release Date: 8 November 2012 (Italy)
The Human Cargo (La nave dolce) on facebook:
- Venice International Film Festival Pasinetti Award
- 69 Venice International Film Festival
- OFFF - Otranto FIlm Fund Festival
- Raindance Film Festival
- Bellaria Film Festival
- Milwaukee Italian Film Festival
- Subversive Film Festival
- Boulder Italian Film Festival
- Denver Italian Film Festival
- Detroit Italian Film Festival
- Festival Bolzano Cinema Filmtage
- Historier från Italien
- Indianapolis Italian Film Festival
- Kansas City Italian Film Festival
- Memphis Italian Film Festival
- St. Louis Italian Film Festival
- Terra di Cinema - Festival de Tremblay-en-France
- Pittsburgh Italian Film Festival
- Thessaloniki Documentary Film Festival
- Festival International de Programmes Audiovisuels de Biarritz FIPATEL
- Internationales Filmwochenende Würzburg
- BACI - Buenos Aires Cine Italiano
- Human Rights Film Festival Zagreb
- Festival de Cine Italiano de Madrid
- Missing Film Festival
- Incontri del Cinema d'Essai
- Tirana International Film Festival
- Salina DOC Fest